Monday, March 24, 2014

Returning From Paradise

Aloha!  I've just returned from a beautiful, albeit windy, week in Maui.  While I'll miss the spectacular sunsets, I am so happy to be home, and itching to get started on some projects around the house.  Oh, dear.  I see I've forgotten to introduce myself -- how rude!  
Hi!  My name is Ann.  Like Kimberly, and Jennevieve I live in Tacoma, and I'm excited to be a contributor on House InsideOut although a little nervous if my use of commas will pass muster with Kimberly.

I met my husband, Paul, at work, and when we married I stayed home to care for our newly combined family.  That's when it hit me.  I didn't know how to cook -- at least not "real" food.  I could scramble eggs, make pancakes, boil pasta, and microwave pre-packaged meals.  That was the extent of my culinary skills.  So for the next year my family basically ate the same meal for dinner.  I'd chop carrots, celery, and onion into varying shapes, and add it to pasta, rice, or potatoes with the appropriate spices to make a reasonably edible Italian, Asian, or American style dish.

15 years later my eating and cooking habits have changed drastically.  I've expanded my domestic skills to include gardening, knitting, crocheting, and sewing -- things I've always wanted to learn but never had the time or energy when I was a single mother.  I've decided to get healthy by putting away the car and moving about town by foot, bus, or bike.  I've also decided to make time for the things that are important to me such as making art, volunteering, and staying in touch with friends.  I can't wait to share some of my exploits with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment