Friday, January 24, 2014

Jumping on the Smoothie Bandwagon

Everybody is making smoothies these days.  Maybe it's a new year resolution thing or just the newest fad.  While it seems like a great way to get a lot of nutrients, smoothies can have a downside too.  Many recipes recommend using an excessive amount of fruit juice (lots of sugar without the fiber, etc.) and one "serving" can end up totaling two to three times the calories you would have had with just a bowl of oatmeal.  So, I approach the whole thing slowly, cautiously, and with a lot of skepticism.

I don't really want too sweet of a smoothie so
I had to experiment until I came up with one to my taste.  I think the ginger is essential and the pomegranate juice could make it too sweet if any of the other ingredients were lightened up, but it's all really about your personal taste preferences. 


Beet Berry Smoothie
serves 2 generously

1 cup peeled, cooked beets
2 tablespoons walnuts
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup frozen strawberries or other berries or extra blueberries
1 large banana
1 cup chopped beet greens (I almost never use beet greens: I was so proud of myself to use them here!)
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup 100% pomegranate juice
1 tablespoon chopped ginger

Toss in blender and blend until combined!  I had to scrape the sides a couple of times with a spatula.  Note:  If you have an extra strong blender, like a Vitamix, you don't need to cook the beets.  I, however, have a Ninja that I don't think is up to raw beet blending, so I cook the beets the night before while I am making dinner and then put them in the fridge overnight so they are nice and cold for the smoothie in the morning. 

P.S.  I love my Scrabble "J" mug that my friend Ann gave me.  Thanks, Ann!

No comments:

Post a Comment