Monday, April 23, 2012

A Thirst Quencher

 My favorite thing right now is to drink soda water with a few dashes of bitters.  Bitters are flavorings used in cocktails to add that something special that makes a Manhattan a Manhattan, and an Old Fashion an Old Fashion.  Many of the bitters out there such as the Aromatic and Peychaud's bitters contain alcohol.  Some, like the Fee Brothers flavored bitters such as rhubarb or celery, do not.  Even the ones with alcohol add such a teeny amount of alcohol (1/2 teaspoon at most!) to a glass, I don't feel bad about making this in the afternoon on a warm, sunny day such as today. 
This one, however, just has the non-alcoholic rhubarb bitters in it.

Fill a glass with ice.  Pour soda water over the ice (I make my own with our SodaStream) and add a few dashes to taste of your preferred bitters.  Stir.  I like to add a squeeze of lime too. 
I also like to drink these when we are out and I am the designated driver for the evening.  Feels like a cocktail, but it's not!  Bonus that it is calorie free! 

I am trying to expand my catalog of bitters but it is hard to find the quirky ones locally so I have to buy them online.  I like grapefruit bitters and really want to try the celery.  I just purchased a book about bitters with recipes in it.  Will let you know how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment