Friday, April 27, 2012

38 Things: Get a dog!

This, by far, is the most exciting and fabulous thing on my list of 38 Things I Want to do Before I Turn 39.  This is Oskar.  He is a Cardigan Welsh Corgi and he is 10 weeks old.  I used to really want a Dachshund but after about a year of my pining for one, Trevor admitted he didn't really like them.  So then I suggested a Corgi.  I grew up with a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and loved her but after doing some research decided a Cardigan was a little more in line with what we want in a dog.  Less needy and greedy, more companionable and friendly. Love that tail and those short legs!
 It's our first dog as adults and we are trying to do this correctly.  We don't want a dog with anxiety or one that tears things up or bites children.  We are working on crate training him.  He slept through the night last night without any accidents but peed on the tile in the bathroom today right after drinking a sip of water.  And right now we are trying to work up to 10 minutes at a time alone in the bathroom with a baby gate blocking it off and he just started barking.  But I have to ignore him or he will learn how to manipulate us.   OK, I just went and "shushed" him and said "no bark" and now he is just whining a little.  Tiny progresses, yay!  I also gave him a little Kong with some peanut butter in it before walking off when I first put him in to help provide a distraction. 
The cats have very different reactions to him.  One cat, Vincent, comes up to him all the time.  Sack will walk into the room with him but leaves quickly.  Moneypenny has avoided him since he's been here.  I think the first couple of weeks are going to be tough, but I am really looking forward to having him in our lives!

1 comment: