Friday, March 2, 2012

New Acquisitions

Since I bought my new Kindle last month, I was thinking I was going to be buying a whole bunch of e-books.  Guess not so much yet.  At the same time I signed up for Amazon Prime which for $79 a year lets you borrow e-books to read as well as receive 2 day shipping on other purchases.

When I went to buy 2 of these books electronically, it turned out that the hard copy prices were cheaper.  Add free 2-day shipping on top of that, and well, I now have 3 new real books.  It's all rather silly and I hope they (the publishers) figure out all this pricing to make sense. In the meantime, I get to enjoy the sizes, the fonts, the feel of the books.  (Small complaint about Prime: it actually took 3 days to get the books, not 2.  But that is still pretty quick.)

The Penguin Book of Victorian Women in Crime:  This is for my feminist book club.  I thought it was going to be an analysis of women in Victorian fiction but it actually is an anthology of short stories.  Which sounds good too.

String, Felt, Thread: The Hierarchy of Art and Craft in American Art: I buy a lot of how-to fiber art books.  I thought it was time to buy more of a history and this one covers the use of fibers in art and it's struggle to become more serious versus just being seen as craft.  This looks like it will be an excellent read.

Space Chronicles:  I am a bit of a math and science geek and Neil deGrasse Tyson is one of my all time favorite science geek heroes.  He is out there working his tail off to promote science awareness and the need for more money for NASA.  This book is a collection of his essays about space explorations and why NASA matters.  And he is very funny and easy to comprehend and avoids techie science speak.  I started this one first because I saw my husband eyeballing it and if he gets a hold of it then it might be a while before I get to steal it back.

I am feeling well rounded and smart today.  We'll see how long that lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment