Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Materials Study: Using the Ephemera Around You

My homework assignment for my next fiber arts class is to make a self portrait out of collage and using everyday material that you would normally throw away.  Since we only moved last week, I don't have a lot of material on hand.

I have a lot of cardboard boxes and a little junk mail but then I found a whole pile of Dwell magazines that the former owners left in the house and decided that would be the obvious choice to play around with.  I have just been messing with a hole punch and paper cutter so far. 

I did splurge on a nice big jar of matte Mod Podge for all my collage needs. 

The studies are meant to be tests to see what we want to use on our self-portrait.  We are also supposed to push the limits of the materials we chose and find ways for it to give expression to our self-portrait.  I admit, I am struggling with this a little.  I have chosen on an image/theme/layout for my portrait but I am not sure how punched out holes express my personality.  

I was just gluing down dots and strips of paper here when I realized I liked how it looks to make a bit of fringe on the edge of the paper.  

I ran with the texturing and came up with this sort of shag rug look.  It took a couple hours just to get this far.  I am feeling the pressure to get cracking on my self-portrait but not sure where to start! 
Isn't that how it always goes though?  I am sure once I get glue to paper, the ideas will start flowing.  I love playing with cheap paper!  It really does free you up from taking yourself too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment