Monday, October 17, 2011

Oh Ye Humble Coffee Filter

I haven't even had my second class in my fiber arts program but I can already tell this is going to be one of the most interesting and inspiring endeavors I have undertaken in quite a while.  Our first homework was to create 4 small material samples and 1 large yardage sample using everyday materials to create pliable forms.  I've only finished one of my smaller samples but jumped straight into the large piece.
 

I just used natural coffee filters and Elmer's glue and really love how it has turned out.  It took about 6 hours to make this 2 yard long piece.  We are not allowed additional surface decoration yet but I was able to play with the filters by folding them to give them a lot of volume and architecture.  

I know there are lots of people that have made coffee filter dresses before (Project Runway isn't the first example by any means) and flowers as well.  I looked up some idea for coffee filter flowers and have some really good ideas to keep in the back of my mind. 

I love fiber arts!

No comments:

Post a Comment