Saturday, August 20, 2011

How to Use Up All that Zucchini in Your Garden

We are having a giant Sangria and Mexican food potluck at our house today and I just had to stop in the middle of my cooking to share this delicious dip I just made up.  OK, if I looked into it, I am sure someone else has already thought of this but I call that parallel evolution and still consider this my own.  

In honor of high summer and the zucchinis bursting at the seam in the garden, here is a yummy  vegan sandwich spread or dip to use up all that summer squash you are ignoring!

Jennevieve's Smokey Zucchini Dip

3 large zucchinis, sliced angled in 1/4" plus thickness
2 chipotles in adobo sauce
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro
1 Tablespoon olive oil
juice of one half lemon
smokey sea salt (I used my new Alderwood Smoke flavored Sea Salt from Libertine Tacoma

Grill zucchinis.  Don't use any oil, just lay them out on a hot grill and turn regularly until they have nice black marks and they are getting mushy.  Allow to cool while prepping the rest.

Combine garlic, chipotles, and cilantro in food processor and pulse until blended.  Chop up zucchini in large dice and add to processor.  Blend well.  Add olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.  Adjust seasonings to taste.

This is spicy!  Today we are using it for a tortilla chip dip but I can't wait to make sandwiches with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment