Friday, August 26, 2011

37 Things: Make a Piece of Wearable Art That Has Felting on It.

I have been thinking for a while about this item on my list of 37 Things I Want to do Before I Turn 38. I definitely wanted to make something a little funky, a little eye catching, and definitely one of a kind and I got the idea for a Faux Fox Stole after seeing some done in crochet.  I thought the idea would translate better to felting.  I am satisfied with my results.  And I only consider this my prototype; I plan on making another one.

Originally I was thinking to make this in time to wear to the Seattle Opera in October. (We are going to Carmen: can't wait!)  But some friends invited us to go to the Canlis in Seattle with them tonight for a birthday and that is such a swanky place, I thought it would be fun to make it in time for the dinner.  It took me about 4 days, working about 2 hours per day.  I spent about 20 hours sketching and thinking about it first!

All the main body parts were done by wet felting.  At first I was going to have the legs attached to the body from the start but in the end I made them separately and then needle felted them on after I figured out how I was going to wear it.  The eyes and nose were done with needle felting.  I love the little white tip I put on his tail.  I am wearing black for sure, so it will really stand out.  I attached a barrette underneath the head so that I can clip it on to any part on the scarf.  I may need to change that part on my next one but for now it works great.

Now I need to go and figure out the rest of what I am going to wear tonight!   

No comments:

Post a Comment