Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What I Ate: Black Bean Soup

I don't make black bean soup that often; it requires foresight of soaking the beans and I am usually a spur of the moment sort of cook.  But it was a little cool yesterday and I knew I was going to be working in the yard all afternoon weeding and then laying down cardboard and wood chips so I was able to get the beans soaking in the morning.  I let them soak for about 6 hours and then cooked the soup for a little over 2 hours.  It worked out perfectly.
Black bean soup can have many variations but I stick to a simple recipe.  I just cook up some onions and peppers and cumin and then throw in whole, peeled garlic, black beans, and stock.  Then I let it cook for an hour and then add a can of whole tomatoes in their juice and a can of corn and cook for another hour.  Then I puree it all with my immersion blender.  Now, that is some okay soup, but nothing to write home about.

The trick is in the condiments.  I like to top it with chopped cilantro, parsley, red onion, jalapenos, and a big dollop of sour cream.  
We just went and shoveled into the trailer 3 more yards of wood chips so after I finish my coffee it is back to the grind and then more black bean soup for lunch.  But the yard is going to look fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment