Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Most Beautiful Box in the World

The desk in my office looks right out at the front street and today when I was working on the computer I heard a truck and looked up and saw the brown blur of a UPS truck coming to a stop in front of our house. I perked right up. I have been waiting for a very special package: my birthday gift from my husband.

We are of the more pragmatic than romantic type of people when it comes to gift giving. Which means I knew exactly what he was getting me because I picked it out: A 5.5 Liter Le Creuset Casserole in Cassis. Ooh, does color get any lovelier than this? A purple casserole in a bright orange box is a pretty beautiful thing.

When a friend heard this was what I was getting, she was surprised because she thought I already owned a Le Creuset. No, I owned a 7.5 Liter Casserole by Martha Stewart. And that product is junk. The bottom scratched up right away even though I was religious, RELIGIOUS! about only using a wooden spatula and using a soft sponge in soapy water to clean it. I still begrudgingly use it so we decided the smaller size would be a good way to go for now and then when I finally can't take the Martha Stewart pan any longer, I can get a larger Le Creuset as well. My friend Greg must own at least 5 of theses babies. I think collecting cookware can be an addiction like covering your body with tattoos or needing to fill the back of your car with stuffed animals. Something like that. But, oh, so much more delicious!

2 comments: