Friday, October 29, 2010

Computer Components, Hair Dreads, and Felted Critters

What do all three of these items have in common? I worked on them all in the same day.

My computer has been very slow lately and keeps telling me I have low disc space despite my trying to clean things up repeatedly. A little investigation, however, showed that my audio and visual files were taking up an obscene amount of space. This newer Nikon camera of mine takes enormous photos which is great for looks, but bad for disc space. We decided that instead of getting a new computer (that is on the list but more research has to be done), what I needed was an external hard drive. So my fabulous husband did some research and ordered one and installed it yesterday and moved all of my documents and audio files and photos over. The results are "Yay!" I now have a ton of space for photos. I don't know if I will ever fill it all up (famous last words) and my computer is no longer stuttering and stalling because it now has plenty of disc space. The only problem I have now is that my desk is swimming in cords. Another problem for a different day.

I also spent a good two and a half hours yesterday working on my synthetic dreads for Halloween. I love how they are looking. I only need to make about 15 more and then I will be done. Although I may have to dye my hair black to get the best look; we'll see.

And finally, last night I continued my trend of streaming a Netflix movie on the Wii while working on felting. I am slowly moving into larger items and really liking the feel and the scale. I am now creating the base of the critters by felting cheap fiber fill and then putting the wool over the top. Much more economical and I had a huge bag of stuffing in my office closet so I am finally putting it to use. I made this sea slug last night while watching The Girl Who Played With Fire.
I started this hedgehog three nights ago while watching The Madness of King George (thumbs up) and finished him the next evening while watching the BBC miniseries State of Play. This is the show that the American movie with Ben Affleck and Russell Crowe was adapted from last year. I actually liked the American version (which is surprising because I am not a fan of Affleck's) but the BBC version is awesome. It has Bill Nighy and Kelly MacDonald and a young James McAvoy and Polly Walker. The second disc doesn't get here until tomorrow. I can't wait to watch the rest of it.
Now I have to sign off now to go finish my quarterly taxes. I always procrastinate this when really it doesn't take that long to do. Then I am heading up to Seattle for the rest of the afternoon to get a giant octopus hennaed onto my arm. This is a trial run to see if I can stand having an octopus on my arm for the rest of my life. It will also look cool with my steampunky Halloween costume. But more about my theories on tattoos later and photos of the henna tomorrow. Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. The hedgehog is just darling!
    I love Netflix streaming too - it's opened up a whole new world for me :)

    ReplyDelete