Thursday, September 9, 2010

Lunch To Go the Eco-Friendly Way

When I first went to Dubai 8 or so years ago, sure, sure the architecture was crazy and the locale exotic, but the one thing that really caught my eye was all these savvy little lunch boxes all the Indian and Pakistani construction workers were carrying to work.

These sort of layered tins are called "tiffins" and comes from an Indian British word meaning light lunch. Usually these tins have 2-4 layers that you can put different items in and stack on top of one another.

I promptly bought 3 or 4 of these tiffins to bring back home to use for taking my lunch to work. Now that I work from home, I don't have as much use for them anymore, but every so often I find a way to pull them out from the back of the cupboard.

The other night some friends of ours called to say they were down at The Red Hot having some beer and hot dogs right when I was in the middle of making this amazing Hot Fudge Pudding Cake from the new Cook's Illustrated Fall Entertaining. (Thumbs way up on these quarterly publications, by the way.)
So I promptly whipped out a tiffin and loaded it up with the Hot Fudge Pudding Cake.
I even brought forks so everyone could share.
The tiffin kept the cake nice and warm until I got to the bar and then everyone made short work of emptying it! And the best thing is that you can bring it home and toss it into the dishwasher.
If you are interested in your very own tiffin, check out Happy Tiffins. This is a company in California that sells every size and shape of tiffin under the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment