Saturday, August 7, 2010

Don't Look!

I am working on a galvanized steel/reclaimed tin chandelier as part of an art installation in downtown Tacoma. The show is called "Don't Look" and a group I am a member of, Madera Architectural Elements, organized the whole thing.

The Volcano wrote up a nice little teaser for the show.

I have been wanting to make slightly more functional work with my reclaimed tin sculpture, and a hanging lamp seemed to be the ticket.

I have been cutting out dozens and dozens of little flowers and circles and filing and sanding them.

Then I have been selecting which pieces will look nice together in each dangle. It's very meditative and extremely satisfying for me to work on labor-intensive pieces like this.

I am using steel and freshwater pearls to create the "chains":

Here it is after just hanging a few of the chains on. I am really liking the look of it so far. I made the frame itself out of left over duct metal my friend Jennifer had lying in her basement. She is going to weld a stand for it and I will attach a light bulb in it as well.
I have to have it done by Monday, I will post photos of the completed project.

Don't Look!

Saturday, Aug. 14-Sept. 14 view anytime from the sidewalk
Preview events: Saturday, Aug. 14, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Thursday Aug. 19, 5-8 p.m.
Gallery 301, 301 Puyallup Ave., Tacoma

1 comment:

  1. looking forward to seeing the finished chandalier, looks like you are having great fun with it.. You recipes are making me hungry. enjoy your work... vivian

    ReplyDelete