Thursday, March 4, 2010

I Love to Paint


Wow, why didn't I start a large format painting sooner?

Answer: We have no walls big enough in our house to display them properly!

Answer: It is expensive to buy large canvases and all the paint needed.

Answer: Because I was afraid to start.

Coming from an art school background, especially from a school that focused a lot on "conceptual art", it is hard for me to let go sometimes and just have fun with art. When I started this painting, I was determined to "just have fun with it". Funny thing is, the more I paint, the more meaning I am starting to put into it!

Being a member of the Museum of Glass, as well as a contractor there, has put my eyeballs on the exhibits quite a bit in the past couple of months. The current Preston Singletary show, Echos, Fire, and Shadows, is really beautiful. He is a contemporary glass artist that creates modern works based on his Native American (Tlingit) heritage. One of my favorite pieces of his is based on a story about Raven Stealing the Sun.

I think about this story a lot, and about other creation stories as well. Even though I am an atheist, I understand the comfort and anxiety about wanting to know where everything comes from. So I started thinking about how Raven could steal the sun, based on different cultural beliefs and the history of astronomy. How much do we really know about the sun and what did scientists think of the sun 100, 500, 1000 years ago?

Well, that's the direction I am heading into right now, no saying what is going to happen tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious to see what you add to the painting -- looks beautiful to me as it is!

    ReplyDelete