Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Meditations Upon Removing the Cat Door

Last year when we remodeled the kitchen and dining room, we took out our scrappy back door with the equally scrappy cat door and put in french doors instead. The cat door was the source of unending drama in our household. First, Vincent had come in it as a stray and never left and secondly, our cats would lie in waiting for each other to come up to the cat door so that they could smack one another in the face with the door. Gifts of rotting rodents and half-eaten birds were a continual pain in the ass as well.

The first time I saw this cartoon was a year ago, right before we started the remodel and I while I thought it was funny, I didn't really think about the implications of removing the cat door.




Now I understand.
In. Out. In. Out. In. Out. Meow. Meow. Squeak. Squeak. Squeak. Vincent has mastered the squeak with his paws, but Mr. Moneypenny will yowl like he is in pain at the door, I let him out, and 35 seconds later he is at my office window, yowling to be let in.

Sometimes I long for the cat door again. But I don't long for strange cats to get in the house or dead animals to be at the foot of the bed. I am in uneasy truce with myself, not sure the best plan of action.

Do you have a cat door? Do you wait hand on foot on your animals, letting them in and out whenever they want?

Note on the video: Go to Simon's Cat to see more!

No comments:

Post a Comment